Inkjet print corrosion experiment / 2021
While working on my Military Meat project, I began drawing on an acetate print I had with a calligraphy pen. The ink used in the pen was alcohol based which to my surprise began corroding away the plotter ink which made up the image printed on the clear acetate film.
The red ink and metallic flat tip of the calligraphy pen caused a rather gruesome effect, which you can see in the images of cows on this page. After wrapping up the Military Meat project I began experimenting with different prints and methods of applying different kinds of alcoholic chemicals. As the Covid pandemic had just ravaged the world the previous year and a half, there was an abundance of spray bottles of alcoholic disinfectant which proved to be very effective for this usage.
Among the very first experiments I used scotch tape to mask off areas of the image I didn’t want the alcohol to affect. Scotch tape became packaging tape which covered the entire print, using an x-acto knife I could cut out more intricate masks. Later I began using a vinyl cutter to produce far more detailed masks from transparent vinyl. This technique can be seen here on the right, along with a vinyl mask I also used paper towels to add a rough texture to the plotter ink.